Solidworks and data security
Dassault Systemes, SolidWorks is the most widely used solid modeling Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software that runs on Microsoft windows. Any industry that uses drawings, illustrations, designs, specifications, blueprints, prototypes, creatives, and models held in CAD is highly valued. In these industries, the exchange of information is both a necessity as well as a business risk.
In the recent Accenture C-Suite survey, about 36% of executives indicated that the number of organizations they partnered with had doubled or more in the last two years and 71% of executives anticipate the volume of data exchanged with the ecosystems to increase. Also, during the collaboration process, between multiple vendors, suppliers, contractors, and subcontractors, the risk of compromising a company’s intellectual property or a client’s confidential data is high..
So how can companies that use SolidWorks ensure that their sensitive content is safe against unauthorized access and usage?
While there are many file and data transfer techniques available today, the majority of them lack the necessary persistent granular access controls and agnostic data encryption. Many offer secure file access or encryption between authorized users. This means that once a user has access to the data, there is no control to track the usage.This is where Digital Rights Management solution HALOCAD comes into play and addresses many of these collaboration control limitations. SolidWorks end users will be able to seamlessly leverage their investment in data security and work transparently on the protected data files with absolutely no user intervention in their respective CAD and viewers.
HOW SolidWorks users will benefit from using HALOCAD DRM solution
- Unified labeling and encryption of the files without interfering with the normal activities of the SolidWorks user .
- Automatically attach persistent, granular usage (view, modify, print, share, screen) to sensitive CAD files
- Agnostic data encryption support for all file formats
- Regulatory compliance and real-time visibility
- Supports encryption for CAD translator file types (IGES, STEP, etc.) and facilitates interoperability across CAD platforms
- Strengthens PLM Multi-CAD integration with data protection using AIP
- Leverages single-source of truth in PLM and provides a holistic encryption strategy across CAD integrations
Supported File Types and Supported Versions
HALOCAD Plug-in for SolidWorks supports
HALOCAD for SolidWorks supports following versions
- SolidWorks 2018
- SolidWorks 2019
- SolidWorks 2020
- Access control (view, edit)
- Usage control (print, save, save as, copy/paste, screen capture with snipping tool, copy to clipboard)
- Dynamic watermarks
Available permissions & Access controls
78% of consumers are concerned about data privacy. And the Norton report also states that most of the reactive steps were taken after detecting unauthorized access..
Prerequisites for configuring HALOCAD
The following prerequisites for configuring and operating HALOCAD must be met. It is also recommended to use Microsoft Information Protection (MIP) with unified labeling to label and protect drawing files.
- Microsoft 365/Azure subscription – The Microsoft 365 bundle should be any one of the following to enable 3rd party integration into Microsoft Information Protection using the MIP SDK.
- Office 365 E3 or E5
- Enterprise Mobility and Security E3 or E5
- Azure Information Protection (AIP) Premium P1 or P2
- It is recommended to run a MIP development and test environment (eg. For User Acceptance Testing)
- Migration of the AIP labels to Office 365 Security and Compliance Center or the Microsoft 365 security center and the Microsoft 365 compliance center.
HALOCAD supports PLM and Multi-CAD Integrations
SECUDE’s HALOCAD DRM now extends data-centric security across PLM and Multi-CAD integrations. It now supports the following PLM Multi-CAD integrations:
- HALOCAD® Add-on for Siemens Teamcenter – NX Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for Siemens Teamcenter – Solid Edge Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for Siemens Teamcenter – SolidWorks Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for Siemens Teamcenter – Creo Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for SAP ECTR – AutoCAD Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for SAP ECTR – Creo Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for SAP ECTR – Solid Edge Integration,/li>
- HALOCAD® Add-on for AutoDesk Vault – AutoCAD Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for AutoDesk Vault – Inventor Integration
Low cost to protect CAD data files using Azure Information Protection (AIP) Microsoft AIP is a part of the Office 365 bundle and hence no extra effort to upgrade/maintain the rights engine 360-degree view of the holistic encryption strategy for CIOs and CISOs, by extending AIP to SAP, PLM, and CAD applications Quick supplier collaboration using HALOCAD Reader available on SECUDE website Modify, expire, revoke or define access period to CAD files in real-time
ConclusionWe are engaging with technology like never before. At the same time, the cybersecurity landscape is changing as well. Cybercrime is on the rise, industries are targeted especially the design and manufacturing industry, and it is time to put the best practices into use.
According to Norton, 78% of consumers are concerned about data privacy. And the Norton report also states that most of the reactive steps were taken after detecting unauthorized access. Why wait for an attack to happen to protect your precious CAD files? When you have already invested in Microsoft solution, then it is wise to use HALOCAD to protect your sensitive intellectual property.
To know how we can help you achieve this write an email to email@example.com