Secure CAD Files Throughout Their Design Life Cycle
HALOCAD at a glance
- The only solution to apply Microsoft Information Protection (MIP) for securing priceless CAD files throughout their life cycle, even beyond the company’s IT boundaries.
- Silently and automatically apply MIP when working with CAD files outside of secured content management systems.
- Allow CAD application users to seamlessly open MIP-protected files and enforce user privileges as per policy (e.g. read only).
Data Centric Security for worldwide IP protection with MIP
Manufacturing and high-tech companies manage their most critical intellectual property (IP), like product blueprints, designs and other technical drawings based on CAD files.
Due to global process and production chains, these files are used by multiple users across departments and even by users outside the company’s IT boundaries.
Today, data streams have no limits. Data is shared beyond company’s IT boundaries. How secure is your data when it’s shared globally?
While sharing IP does catalyze development, it also brings in certain risks in terms of safety and integrity.
For the senior management of the organization, the risk of losing such data means loss of brand and reputation.
Data-centric security is the solution to mitigate this risk. It goes beyond traditional infrastructure-level security and enables data security in worldwide distributed IT process chain regardless of the underlying IT infrastructure.
Microsoft Information Protection (MIP) is Microsoft’s industry standard to support IP protection in worldwide shared data files.
As part of the Microsoft Office 365 feature set it is a smart move to leverage existing investments and use MIP for any kind of files including CAD files.
HALOCAD helps you leverage seamlessly the robust MIP labeling templates for your CAD files in a simple and cost-effective manner.
Image: List of few supported filetypes by HALOCAD
Securing CAD files wherever they may be shared
SECUDE’s HALOCAD leverages Microsoft Information Protection (MIP) to encrypt CAD files. It is tightly integrated with MIP and fully supports all implementation scenarios of Azure Information Protection (AIP) and Rights Management Service (RMS).
Image: HALOCAD Architecture
In SAP PLM environments, HALOCAD works as an extension to HALOCORE protection by enabling CAD applications to automatically decrypt and use MIP encrypted files which have been checked out of the SAP Content Management System (CMS).
In addition, HALOCAD enables CAD applications to use MIP directly when SAP is not the CMS in the background. In this case HALOCAD enables encryption of CAD files including MIP label handling and privilege enforcement.
At the time of file creation, the user’s valid credentials will invoke MIP labels. CAD users will not notice any difference in the handling of MIP protected CAD files.
For detailed HALOCAD FAQs, click here
Protected files can only be opened and modified by authorized users and thus, protection continues to remain even when the file is accessed by multiple users across companies.
For companies who want to allow their CAD files to be read by users outside their organization, without the risk of losing IP, the free of charge HALOCAD Reader plug-in provides read-only access to MIP protected CAD files.
SECUDE HALOCAD Offerings
SECUDE offers the following three product suites.
HALOCAD Plug-in for CAD Applications
This is a plug-in for CAD applications and can be downloaded from the Microsoft store. It can be used standalone or in combination with HALOCAD for PLM. The HALOCAD plug-in can read protected files, enforce corresponding privileges and change MIP labels.
HALOCAD for PLM Applications
This solution integrates with the corresponding PLM application and contains the functionality of HALOCAD PROTECT. Files are automatically protected during access/download or checkout process (preserving the original file type extension) and are stored unprotected back into the PLM Vault during the upload/check in process.
This is a standalone plug-in for CAD applications which can be downloaded from the Microsoft store and from the SECUDE website. This module of HALOCAD enables users to read protected files and always enforce ‘read only’ privileges. This feature does not support the setting or modification of labels.
Image: Native CAD & PLM platforms supported by HALOCAD
HALOCAD in action
Watch this three-minute video to learn how HALOCAD automates data security within CAD environments and process chains.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is HALOCAD SAP specific?
What are the CAD applications that are currently supported by HALOCAD?
- Autodesk Inventor
- PTC Creo
- Siemens NX & Solid Edge
- Bentley MicroStation
Further applications planned in 2021 include:
- Dassault CATIA
What are the PLM applications that are currently supported by HALOCAD?
- PTC Windchill
- Siemens Teamcenter
- SAP PLM
- Autodesk Vault
Further applications planned in 2021 include:
- Bentley ProjectWise
- Dassault Enovia
- Dassault SolidWorks PDM
What file formats does HALOCAD support?
- HALOCAD plugin for AutoCAD: .dwg, .dxf
- HALOCAD plugin for Autodesk Inventor: .ipt, .iam, .idw, .ipn
- HALOCAD plugin for RIVET: .rvt, .rfa
- HALOCAD plugin for PTC Creo: .asm, .prt, .mfg, .drw, .frm, .lay, .sec
- HALOCAD plugin for Siemens NX: .prt
- HALOCAD plugin for Solid Edge: .par, .psm, .asm, .dft
- HALOCAD plugin for Solid Works: .sldprt, .sldasm, .slddrw, .slddrt
- HALOCAD plugin for MicroStation: .dgn
What are the following PLM multi-CAD integrations supported by HALOCAD?
- HALOCAD® Add-on for Siemens Teamcenter – NX Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for Siemens Teamcenter – SolidEdge Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for Siemens Teamcenter – SolidWorks Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for Siemens Teamcenter – Creo Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for SAP ECTR – AutoCAD Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for SAP ECTR – Creo Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for SAP ECTR – SolidEdge Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for AutoDesk Vault – AutoCAD Integration
- HALOCAD® Add-on for AutoDesk Vault – Inventor Integration